Posted on May 28, 2011 by stalkingsarah
On the occasion of needing to prune my mint plant (which is, amazingly, STILL ALIVE):
Muddle (or use a mortar & pestle) the mint and sugar together. Separate the mint/sugar mixture into two low ball glasses. Squeeze half a lime into each glass and mix. Add ice cubes, and then pour tonic water over all of it. Stir and garnish with a strawberry (if you happen to have one, as I did).
There. A mojito you can feel OK drinking at 10 am.
Filed under: cooking, recipes | Tagged: cocktails, drinks, lime, mint, mocktails, mojito, summer | Leave a comment »
Posted on March 27, 2008 by stalkingsarah
Summer’s coming. You’re gonna need this.
adapted from Bon Appetit
makes about four servings
* 3 limes, cut into small wedges
* about half a peeled cucumber, blended until pulpy (or cut into thin slices)
* 3/4 cup gin
* 4 tablespoons simple syrup (recipe below)
* 2 cups cracked ice (or, you know, ice cubes)
* big pinch of sea salt
1. Place lime and cucumber in cocktail shaker and MASH until lime is juiced.
2. Add gin and simple syrup, then ice.
4. Shake vigorously.
5. Pour into glass with ice.
6. Sprinkle with salt.
7. Garnish with cucumber stirrers.
Optional: To cut down on the amount of alcohol in a serving (because, let’s face it, you’re going to want more than one), add liberal splashes of tonic water or unflavored seltzer.
To make simple syrup: Stir one cup sugar and one water in small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Boil for one minute. Chill and use!
Filed under: recipes | Tagged: cucumber, drink, gin, lime, summer | 3 Comments »