I know, I never post anything anymore. See what having a kid will do to you? But I wanted to get this written down because I keep making it!
Based heavily on Elotes Corn Salad by fiveandspice.com, but with some lazy person’s changes. Mainly, buying “fire roasted” corn, which is apparently a thing, and is SO good. (I have seen it at Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s.) It is like you grilled corn on the cob, cut it off, and then froze it. Which maybe someone did, but that someone wasn’t me.
Elotes Salad (serves 4)
- One bag of “fire roasted” frozen corn
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup of crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (make sure it’s not parsley… not that this has ever happened to me…)
- salt and pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into chunks
- Microwave the corn per bag instructions.
- Add salt, pepper, mayo, lime juice, chili, and cayenne.
- Fold in cheese and cilantro.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
(If you’re preparing ahead of time, like, say, for your coworker’s babyshower the next day, pause here. If not, march onward.)
- Stir in the avocado chunks.
Serve warm, cold, over tortillas, over the bowl with a spoon after your kid is asleep… I love this stuff.